Christopher's interests lie in the intersection of the modeling of physical systems and the experimental construction and testing of these systems, including simulation, numerical methods, and fault detection. He has worked on a variety of multi-physical systems, such as thermo-fluid systems and electromechanical energy conversion systems.
Where: American Control Conference (ACC)
MERL Contacts: Mouhacine Benosman; Karl Berntorp; Scott A. Bortoff; Petros T. Boufounos; Daniel J. Burns; Claus Danielson; Stefano Di Cairano; Amir-massoud Farahmand; Abraham M. Goldsmith; Piyush Grover; Uros V. Kalabic; Andrew Knyazev; Christopher R. Laughman; Daniel N. Nikovski; Arvind U. Raghunathan; Yebin Wang; Avishai Weiss
Research Areas: Multimedia, Data Analytics, Mechatronics, Business Innovation, Advanced Control Systems, Dynamical Systems, Machine Learning, Predictive ModelingBrief
Date: July 6, 2016 - July 8, 2016
- The premier American Control Conference (ACC) takes place in Boston July 6-8. This year MERL researchers will present a record 20 papers(!) at ACC, with several contributions, especially in autonomous vehicle path planning and in Model Predictive Control (MPC) theory and applications, including manufacturing machines, electric motors, satellite station keeping, and HVAC. Other important themes developed in MERL's presentations concern adaptation, learning, and optimization in control systems.
Where: University of Connecticut
MERL Contacts: Christopher R. Laughman; Scott A. Bortoff; Hongtao Qiao
Research Area: Data AnalyticsBrief
Date: November 11, 2015 - November 12, 2015
- MERL Researchers Scott A. Bortoff, Chris Laughman and Hongtao Qiao attended the North America Modelica User's Group Meeting, hosted by the University of Connecticut, November 11-12, 2015. Scott Bortoff gave the Keynote Address entitled "Using Modelica in Industrial Research and Development," and Chris Laughman and Hongtao Qiao each presented a paper on modelling of HVAC systems. The Meeting attracted approximately 80 Modelica users from a diverse set of companies and universities including United Technologies, Johnson Controls and Ford. Use of Modelica is accelerating in North America, lead by largely by automotive and similar "systems manufacturing" type companies.
See All News & Events for Chris
- "On the Influence of State Selection on Mass Conservation in Dynamic Vapor Compression Cycle Models", Mathematical and Computer Modeling of Dynamical Systems, December 2016. ,
- "Kernel Regression for the Approximation of Heat Transfer Coefficients", Gustav Lorentzen Natural Working Fluids Conference, August 2016. ,
- "Modeling of Finned-Tube Heat Exchangers: A Novel Approach to the Analysis of Heat and Mass Transfer under Cooling and Dehumidifying Conditions", International Refrigeration and Air conditioning Conference at Purdue, July 2016. ,
- "Dynamic Charge Management for Vapor Compression Cycles", Purdue Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Conference, July 2016. ,
- "Proportional-Integral Extremum Seeking for Optimizing Power of Vapor Compression Systems", International Refrigeration and Air conditioning Conference at Purdue, July 2016. ,
Title: "System and Method for Controlling of Vapor Compression System"
Inventors: Burns, Dan J; Jain, Neera; Laughman, Christopher; Di Cairano, Stefano; Bortoff, Scott A.
Patent No.: 9,625,196
Issue Date: Apr 18, 2017
Title: "Method For Reconstructing 3D Scenes From 2D Images"
Inventors: Ramalingam, Srikumar; Taguchi, Yuichi; Pillai, Jaishanker K; Burns, Dan J; Laughman, Christopher
Patent No.: 9,595,134
Issue Date: Mar 14, 2017
Title: "System and Method for Controlling Vapor Compression Systems"
Inventors: Burns, Dan J; Laughman, Christopher; Bortoff, Scott A.
Patent No.: 9,534,820
Issue Date: Jan 3, 2017
Title: "System and Method for Controlling Temperature and Humidity in Multiple Spaces using Liquid Desiccant"
Inventors: Laughman, Christopher; Burns, Dan J; Bortoff, Scott A.; Waters, Richard C.
Patent No.: 9,518,765
Issue Date: Dec 13, 2016
Title: "Adaptive Control of Vapor Compression System"
Inventors: Burns, Dan J; Laughman, Christopher
Patent No.: 9,182,154
Issue Date: Nov 10, 2015
Title: "Controlling Operation of Vapor Compression System"
Inventors: Nikovski, Daniel N.; Laughman, Christopher; Burns, Dan J
Patent No.: 8,793,003
Issue Date: Jul 29, 2014
Title: "System and Method for Controlling Operations of Vapor Compression"
Inventors: Bortoff, Scott A.; Burns, Dan J; Laughman, Christopher
Patent No.: 8,694,131
Issue Date: Apr 8, 2014
- Title: "System and Method for Controlling of Vapor Compression System"