Our work involves the development of state-of-art modeling and simulation tools for complex, heterogeneous systems. We apply these models for the optimal design and robust control of a variety of systems including HVAC systems, zero-energy buildings, automobiles, and robotic systems.
MP1189: nano-particle properties
MERL is searching for a graduate student to work on properties of nano-particles. Ideal candidates will have a strong background in physics modeling, particularly for hysteresis phenomena. Experience on Ab Initio computations (including density functional theory for material properties or finite-difference-time-domain for optical property) is a plus but not required. The intern is expected to explain experimental measurements. The expected duration is 3 months. Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please see our website http://www.merl.com for information relating to our research, and http://www.merl.com/publications/ to explore our publications.
MP1201: Process Control of Vapor Compression Systems
MERL is seeking an intern to develop and experimentally validate control algorithms and optimization strategies for vapor compression systems. The ideal candidate has a solid background in process control, system dynamics and thermodynamics, and experience in implementation, validation and verification of control algorithms. Applicants currently enrolled in graduate programs in chemical, mechanical or electrical engineering (or similar) at leading research universities are encouraged to apply. Proficiency in MATLAB and/or LabVIEW is required. The intern will collaborate with MERL researchers in developing algorithms, conducting experiments, and preparing manuscripts for scientific publications.
See All Internships for Multi-Physical Modeling
- "Comparing Realtime Energy-Optimizing Controllers for Heat Pumps", International Refrigeration and Air conditioning Conference at Purdue, July 12, 2018. ,
- "Integrated Control of Multi-Zone Buildings with Ventilation and VRF systems in Cooling Mode", Purdue High-Performance Buildings Conference, July 12, 2018. ,
- "Modeling and Coordinated Control of an Air-Source Heat Pump and Hydronic Radiant Heating System", Japanese Modelica Conference, July 9, 2018. ,
- "Approximation of Refrigerant Properties for Dynamic Vapor Compression Cycle Models", MATHMOD, February 2018. ,
- "Dynamic Characteristics of an R-410A Multi-split Variable Refrigerant Flow Air-conditioning System", 12th IEA Heat Pump Conference, May 2017. ,