The Policy applies to MERL's Site located at https://www.merl.com/, as well as all other websites, domains, services, applications, and products owned and operated by MERL. In cases where certain MERL programs, products and services operate under a different privacy statement, such a policy may supersede or supplement this one. The Policy does not apply to the websites of other companies or organizations to which the MERL Site links.
In general, you can visit this Site without revealing any personal information about yourself. However, certain features may require you to provide some personal information. If you choose not to provide the personal information we request, you can still visit most of the Site, but you will be unable to access certain options that involve our interaction with you.
Collection of Personal Information and How We Use It
MERL does not use "cookies". Federal and state laws require us to disclose how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal information. The law also limits how we can use your personal information. Personally identifiable information that MERL may collect includes (1) first and last name; (2) physical address; (3) e-mail address; and (4) telephone number. We use the information only as a record of who used what features of the Site. When you provide us with personal information, we store a record of it. In addition, we may share it with our worldwide affiliates. MERL does not share this information with any other parties. We use our best efforts to protect you personal information from unathorized access.
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"), as well as various other state laws, prohibits unfair or deceptive acts or practices in connection with the collection, use, and/or disclosure of personal information from and about children on the Internet. MERL does not knowingly collect information from children nor does it target its Site to children less than 13 years of age. Children without the consent of their parent or guardian should not submit personal Information to the Site. If we discover that we have collected the personal information of a child, as defined by law, we will take immediate steps to handle that information in accordance with the law. Any minor under 18 years of age may also remove, or request and obtain removal of, online content that is collected and stored when such information is submitted by the user by directly contacting the Webmaster. MERL encourages all parents or guardians to instruct their children in the safe and responsible use of their personal information while using the Internet.
Links to Non-MERL Websites
This Site may provide links that offer convenient access to third-party products, services, applications or other websites not affiliated with MERL. Clicking these links will cause you to leave the MERL Site and be transferred to websites owned and operated by unaffiliated third parties. MERL will make an earnest effort to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, but we have no control over any third party websites or their privacy policies (which may differ from that of MERL). We do not endorse or make any representations about third-party websites or products, and the Policy does not apply to any information you may choose to share with third party websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any such third parties before disclosing personal information on their websites.
Notification of Changes
Our Policy may change from time to time. If MERL decides to change its Policy, those changes will be posted in this section to keep you updated on the types of information we collect, how we collect such information, whether we disclose it to any third parties, your ability to control how such information is used, and your right to correct any erroneous information collected about you. When we change the policy in a material way, a notice will be posted on our website along with the updated Policy.
Our Companywide Commitment to Your Privacy
Because we value our commitment to information security, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to MERL employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
By using this Site, you consent to the terms of our privacy statement and to our collecting and processing of personal information for the purposes given above.
CCPA Privacy Notice
Your privacy is important to us and we are committed to protecting our job applicants' information. This privacy notice describes the personal information that we collect from our job applicants and the purposes for which we may use such information.
The California enacted the California Consumer Privacy Act, California Civil Code § 1798.100 et seq., (with any implementing regulations and as may be amended from time to time, "CCPA"). The CCPA imposes certain obligations on Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, Inc. (together, "we" or "us"), and subject to specific exemptions and other limitations, grants certain rights to California resident job applicants ("California Resident," "you" or "your") of Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, Inc. with regard to their personal information.
What is personal information?
"Personal information" under the CCPA includes information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a consumer or a household.
What categories of personal information do we collect?
We may have collected the following categories of personal information from or about you:
- Identifiers such as, your name, address, date of birth, email address, social security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- Professional or employment-related information, including your current or former employer, professional titles, and other information necessary to determine an offer of employment.
- Education information, defined as information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99).
- Personal information protected under California Civil Code Section 1798.80(e),
Personal information under the CCPA does not include deidentified information, aggregate consumer information or publicly available information that is lawfully made available from government records.
What are the purposes for which this information may be used?
We may use your personal information for the purpose of determining whether or not to extend an offer of employment and for other similar related purposes and/or in compliance with the legal exceptions to the CCPA.
[2-2-9 CCPA Privacy Notice, April 16, 2020]
This PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS supplements the information contained in the Privacy Statement of Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs (MERL) and its affiliates (collectively, "we," "us," or "our") and applies solely to visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California ("consumers" or "you"). We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 ("CCPA") and other California privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device ("personal information"). In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
- Identifiers - A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- Personal information described in subdivision (e) of Section 1798.80 (California Customer Records statute) ("1798.80 Personal Information") - This means any information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is capable of being associated with, a particular individual, including, but not limited to, his or her name, signature, social security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
- Commercial Information - Including, but not limited to, records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet or Network Activity - Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
- Geolocation Data - Physical location or movements.
- For Covid-19 safety: Medical and health information, specifically your body temperature and whether you have or display certain symptoms such as fatigue, cough, sneezing, aches and pains, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, diarrhea, headaches, or shortness of breath, whether you have recently been in close contact with anyone who has exhibited any of these symptoms, whether you have recently been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19, and whether you have recently traveled to a restricted area that is under a Level 2, 3, or 4 Travel Advisory according to the U.S. State Department (including China, Italy, Iran, and most of Europe) or another area deemed to be a high risk of COVID-19 ("Covid Health Information").
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA's scope.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from our customers related to their purchases of products or services and related warranties.
- Indirectly from our distributors or sales agents.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our website (www.merl.com), social media, or marketing efforts.
- From third-parties that interact with us in connection with the products we sell or services we perform.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided. For example, if you provide us with personal information in relation to a purchase, warranty submission, referral form, etc., we will use that information in conjunction with that specific purpose.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To provide you with email alerts, event registrations and other notices concerning our products or services, or events or news, that may be of interest to you.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collections.
- To improve our website and present its contents to you.
- For testing, research, analysis and product development.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by litigation requirements, applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets.
- Covid Health Information is collected for purposes of reducing the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus in and through the workplace and our customers' workplaces and protecting our employees and guests.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose in compliance with the CCPA. In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Personal Information
- Commercial Information
- Our affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold any personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at 617-621-7500.
- Emailing us at
- Writing us at the address noted below
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information twice within a twelve-month period. Your request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.Non-Discrimination
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights, unless otherwise permitted by the CCPA.Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time.Contact Information
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, our Privacy Statement, the ways in which we collect and use your personal information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
- Phone: 617-621-7500
- Website: www.merl.com
- Postal Address: 201 Broadway, 8th Floor; Cambridge, MA 02139-1955