The Power & RF team is involved in a wide range of research challenges in wireless power transfer, RF power amplifiers and power devices. For wireless power transfer, we are focusing on magnetic technologies that could achieve efficiencies that are very close to those of cabled power transfer. To address the pressing issue of an increasingly congested and fragmented wireless spectrum, we are exploring digital and analog technologies for power amplifiers that could provide the agility and speed of allocating frequency and bandwidth with maximum power efficiency and linearity. Complementing the research in power amplifiers, we are pursuing experimental and theoretical research on the basic physical mechanisms that limit power device performance and reliability. From these efforts, device models are modified to optimize circuit design and new power device design and architectures are explored to bring performance to the next level.
MERL Contact: Koon Hoo Teo
Research Areas: Electronics & Communications, RFBrief
Date: June 4, 2015
- Li Zhu, Koon Hoo Teo and Qun Gao's paper, 'Dynamic On-resistance and Tunneling Based De-trapping in GaN HEMT,' was awarded the "Best Student Poster Award" at the IEEE International Conference on Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC) 2015.
MERL Contacts: Bingnan Wang; William S. Yerazunis; Koon Hoo Teo
Research Areas: Electronics & Communications, PowerBrief
Date: May 13, 2015 - May 15, 2015
- Description: Bingnan Wang presented a paper, 'Circularly Polarized Near Field for Resonant Wireless Power Transfer' at the recently held IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference in Boulder, Colorado from May 13-15, 2015.
See All News & Events for Power & RF
- "The role of local repulsion in superconductivity in the Hubbard-Holstein model", Physica C, January 2017. ,
- "3.0-3.6 GHz Wideband, over 46% Average Efficiency GaN Doherty Power Amplifier with Frequency Dependency Compensating Circuits", IEEE Radio Wireless Week (RWW), January 2017. ,
- "Novel Baseband Equivalent Models of Quadrature Modulated All-Digital Transmitters", IEEE Radio Wireless Week (RWW), January 2017. ,
- "Design of Continuous Beam Steerable and Scalable Unit Module for Wireless Power Transmission Using Injection-locked Oscillator Array", journal of Progress In Electromagnetics Research (PIER), DOI: 10.2528/PIERC16081805, Vol. 69, pp. 169-179, December 2016. ,
- Wireless Power Transfer based on Metamaterials, ISBN: 978-3-319-46809-9, November 2016. ,
- "Thermal Emitter Design based on Gap and Spacer Plasmon Mode Coupling", OSA Light, Energy and the Environment Congress, DOI: 10.1364/PV.2016.PTh4A.4, November 2016. ,
- "An Accurate Contactless Position Sensor with Planar Resonators", IEEE Sensors 2016, November 2016. ,
- "Online State of Charge Estimation for Lithium-Ion Batteries Using Gaussian Process Regression", Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, October 2016. ,