Prior to getting his Ph.D., Bob worked for 11 years at Philips Research Labs in NY on HDTV, scalable video streaming, video surveillance, and VLSI rapid prototyping. His current research interests are video coding & communications, and video, image & signal processing. He is an active participant in video coding standards.
Where: Beijing, China
MERL Contacts: Petros Boufounos; Robert Cohen; Chen Feng; Dehong Liu; Hassan Mansour; Huifang Sun; Yuichi Taguchi; Dong Tian; Anthony Vetro
Research Areas: Multimedia, Computer Vision, Computational Geometry, Computational Sensing, Digital VideoBrief
Date: September 17, 2017 - September 20, 2017
- MERL presented 5 papers at the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), which was held in Beijing, China from September 17-20, 2017. ICIP is a flagship conference of the IEEE Signal Processing Society and approximately 1300 people attended the event. Anthony Vetro served as General Co-chair for the conference.
MERL Contact: Robert Cohen
Research Area: MultimediaBrief
Date: April 1, 2015
- MERL researcher, Robert Cohen, was appointed to the Industrial Relations Committee for a 3-year term from 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2017. This committee is responsible for maintaining and improving relations between the IEEE Signal Processing Society and industry members.
See All News & Events for Bob
MM1012: Point Cloud Compression
MERL is seeking an intern to work on new methods for coding and compressing 3D point clouds. The ideal candidate will have relevant expertise in computer graphics representations and compression, and in lossy or lossless image or video compression. Familiarity with processing point cloud data related to mobile mapping, laser scanning, or virtual reality would be a plus.
- "Trends in efficient representation of 3D point clouds", APSIPA ASC, December 2017. ,
- "Compression of 3-D point clouds using hierarchical patch fitting", IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), September 2017. ,
- "Geometric Distortion Metrics for Point Cloud Compression", IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP) 2017, September 2017. ,
- "Overview of Screen Content Video Coding: Technologies, Standards, and Beyond", IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, DOI: 10.1109/JETCAS.2016.2608971, ISSN: 2156-3357, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 393 - 408, December 2016. ,
- "Representation and Coding of Large-Scale 3D Dynamic Maps", SPIE Conference on Applications of Digital Image Processing, DOI: 10.1117/12.2237755, September 2016, vol. 9971. ,
Title: "Method for Improving Compression Efficiency of Distributed Source Coding Using Intra-Band Information"
Inventors: Rane, Shantanu D.; Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony; Sugimoto, Kazuo
Patent No.: 9,307,257
Issue Date: Apr 5, 2016
Title: "Perceptually Coding Images and Videos"
Inventors: Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony; Jin, Guoxin
Patent No.: 9,237,343
Issue Date: Jan 12, 2016
Title: "Distributed Source Coding using Prediction Modes Obtained from Side Information"
Inventors: Rane, Shantanu D.; Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony
Patent No.: 9,014,499
Issue Date: Apr 21, 2015
Title: "Method for Selecting Transform Types From Mapping Table for Prediction Modes"
Inventors: Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony
Patent No.: 8,929,455
Issue Date: Jan 6, 2015
Title: "Coding Images Using Intra Prediction Modes"
Inventors: Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony; Xu, Xiaozhong
Patent No.: 8,811,760
Issue Date: Aug 19, 2014
Title: "Method for Coding Videos Using Dictionaries"
Inventors: Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony; Kang, Jewon
Patent No.: 8,767,835
Issue Date: Jul 1, 2014
Title: "Method for Training and Utilizing Separable Transforms for Video Coding"
Inventors: Cohen, Robert A.; Sezer, Osman G; Vetro, Anthony
Patent No.: 8,630,341
Issue Date: Jan 14, 2014
Title: "Method for Coding Pictures Using Hierarchial Transform Units"
Inventors: Cohen, Robert A.; Vetro, Anthony; Sun, Huifang
Patent No.: 8,494,290
Issue Date: Jul 23, 2013
- Title: "Method for Improving Compression Efficiency of Distributed Source Coding Using Intra-Band Information"